"Ask us ANYTHING!!"


Can you move?

From:  "Mel"

Can a person move to another state after being released from a state prison?

TB believed this: 

Depends on the way the person was released. If the person served their full sentence then there is no problem. If the person is paroled then it depends on the dictates of the parole board. Sometime the parolee gets a job out of state. Then with special dispensation, the parolee is allowed to move. This is done on a case by case basis.

David K realized this: 

I think it depends on the conditions of the released. If you are released ON PAROLE, I don't think they will let you live in another state. If you served a full sentence, then I am pretty sure you are free to go wherever you want. However, if you were jailed on a sex offense, I am pretty sure you have to register as a "sex offender" wherever you go.

pavolka shared this: 

If he's not on parole or probation, yes. If he is, he needs the permission of the authorities in each state. There's a good chance he'll get it if he's got a job or ties in the new state and he's not considered dangerous.

C.H.U.D. faithfully dedicated gave us this: 

It depends on the original sentence and/or the conditions attached to the release. A person on probation or parole generally can't leave the state. An ex-con who has served out their sentence completely can generally re-enter society without many restrictions.

tony simply answered with this: 

yes if you parole is up and the court did not stipulate it your release.

Sonya Webb finished with this:

 A person can move to another state after being released from state prison as long as they are not on probation.

Click here to send this page to a friend! Back to main page

2001 - 2003 Stupid Questions Answered